Thursday, July 10, 2014

Writing Prompt: He Had My Name Written All Over Him

 Thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump; the beat of my heart syncs to the pulse of my steps on the forest floor. My legs can hardly keep the pace but my head pushes forward. Speed is on my mind. Thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump. I hear nothing beyond the sound of my ever quickening breath and the pounding of my heart. I've been running for what seems like forever but I can't stop, I can't let them catch us.

Us!

The entire world grinds to a neck snapping halt. I can't breath but it's not because of the sprinting. "Zach!" I gasp and fall to my knees. I was so focused on getting away I didn't even check to see if he was still behind me. As I shudder on the forest floor, I can feel his absence like a cold fog slowly engulfing me, sapping my energy and my will to move. I feel like I'm 100 feet underwater as the pressure of loss constricts my chest and throat.  My eyes begin to burn opening a flood of tears and uncontrollable sobs. I weep with every part of my being.

Time aches by and I realize the sun is setting. I have to find shelter for the night. My instincts kick in as I gather myself off the ground. Water, warmth, and protection. I see my hands pulling me through the trees and feel my body being propelled by the need to survive. I am my own shadow; lifeless, meaningless, lost.

As the last dot of light flutters off the forest floor I am able to light a small fire. The advantage to thick foliage is a lack of visibility.  It's also the greatest down fall as I hear creatures scurry around but can't see anything. The leaves all seem to have sprout wings and began their new life in the night.

I sit unresponsive to the buzz around me. Every inch of my body is heavier than bricks. I can barely keep my eyes open as I stare into the crackling fire.
As I drift off into a restless sleep I see his face in the flames. Zach, sitting across from me. His ruffled red hair and bright blue eyes. His little freckled face looks... distorted. My eyes snap open and my whole body lurches as though I've been shot with lightning. "Zach!" I scramble to my hands and knees and crawl around the fire. Tears stain his rutty face but he won't respond to me. He just stares at me. His eyes seem so full of fear. "Zach, what happened? I thought they--" He raised his hands and stared at his arms, mouth gaping with horror. I faltered. It wasn't until that moment that I realized he was covered with cuts. They look like some sort of pattern. I looked closer and nearly gagged. He had my name written all over him. Some carved straight into his skin others scrawled it what looks like a mix of blood and ink. "What did they do to you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment