Friday, December 27, 2013

Different

Have you ever felt yourself being changed? Not so much by any specific event but just as you're driving down a highway you feel that... differentness in your heart. Sometimes it's a good feeling but often it's this ache inside you that says "You're never going to be the same".

I'm on a road trip with my parents, little sister and her husband and son. We just left my father's mother's house. As we're driving, I look at the Texas city-scape and the run-down buildings, all the differentness from my Kansas home.

I look back and see that because I visited my grandmother today, this visit has changed, has affected my view of her. As has every encounter we've ever had and every encounter we will have in the future. I don't think any less of her or anything but... because I visited her today, as my 19 year old self, I will never look at her or remember her the way I saw her when I was say 7 years old. She's not the same Grandma and I'm not the same Erika.

Sometimes I love the new, the changing, the freedom to transform and experience variety. But today I ache of loss. Today I wish I could feel the same I had back then. But I can't. And such is life.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely, over the past year (almost) I feel that I have changed so much - it is different, it is new. Sometimes exciting, sometimes thought provoking. Good post!

    Oh, and though this may sound quite odd, I was on Pinterest and saw a comment of yours regarding Sherlock Season 3. I tried to comment, but Pinterest thought a link I was giving was spam - it is not. I too thought I would have to wait until the 19th to see the first episode of Sherlock and then wait each week thereafter for the other 2, but I wasn't content with that and I searched a site called megashare.sh (a free online movie site that I have used to watch various movies) and I found the first 2 episodes of Sherlock Season 3 and watched them last night! I was excited, and when I saw your comment on Pinterest I thought I should let you know this bit of great news!
    Here is the link to the "Sherlock" page of Megashare - http://megashare.sh/#Search,sherlock
    Yes, it IS a legitimate site! And the Sherlock episodes are commercial free!

    I hope you find this useful! Again, thought-provoking post and I can totally relate!
    Blessings, Mandie

    ReplyDelete